Are you deciding to refinish your walls but aren’t sure whether to paint or wallpaper?
Many well-designed spaces incorporate both paint and wallpaper into their designs. After considering all factors, we believe you’ll decide wallpaper adds color, design & character to a room that paint simply cannot accomplish, and can be more cost-effective option in the long run.
If you are looking for a very specific color or would like the option to change colors once in a while, you might want to consider paintable wallpaper. With a myriad of texture effects and designs to choose from, it’s the best of both worlds.
Wall decor is an important part of any room. It can add personality, visual interest, and even functionality. Here are advantages and disadvantages that will help you decide whether to use wallpaper or paint in your home.
Table of Contents
Advantages of Wallpaper
- Wallpaper can last up to 15 years and beyond, which makes it cost-effective in the long run.( properly hung wallpaper will last 3 times as long as paint)
- Wallpaper adheres easily and smoothly to walls, hiding many surface imperfection.
- It can add warmth, depth, and style to a room that monotone paint simply cannot achieve.
- Beautiful designs, intriguing textures, and beautiful prints have an impactful effect on the décor of a room.
- Wallpaper can be used to create a designer look in any space, and can also be applied to just one wall as a feature wall.
- Wallpaper comes in a dazzling array of designs with an incredible selection of beautiful effects like pearl and glitter, raised inks, suede, gels, beads, foils, embossed silk textures, and natural grasscloth.
Disadvantages of Wallpaper
- The process of applying wallpaper to walls is more time-consuming than painting.
- One can’t simply paint over it or apply different wallpaper if you get bored with the wallpaper without some prep work.
- Removing it can be a hustle- Many of today’s wallpapers (non-woven technology) strip off in large sheets, but some older wallpaper can be more tedious to remove.
- Before attempting your first wallpaper project, you should read up on things like making sure your first strip is level, pattern match, and hanging around corners.
Advantages of Paint
- Paint can come at a fairly low cost and is normally fairly easy to accomplish.
- Most people can do a paint job themselves and just need to buy the supplies.
- Paint is relatively easy to paint over or wallpaper over if you get tired of the original color.
Disadvantages of Paint
- Paint can only provide a color in a very limited spectrum of finishes from matte to glossy.…just to name a few.
- Paint also chips and cracks over time, so you will need to reapply and touch up your paint job more often.
- It is also can be messy to apply paint to walls, and you can easily stain your floors, ceilings, furniture or appliances.
- Depending on the type of paint you decide to use, heavier oil-based paint dries slower than you anticipate and usually requires a professional to apply – so, you probably can’t apply it yourself. Oil-based paints also tend to run when being applied and are less resistant to heat.
- Paint can also release volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), which are harmful to the human body.
- While paint does last 5 to 10 years, there is a bigger chance you will repaint more frequently.