Are you deciding to refinish your walls but aren’t sure whether to paint or wallpaper? Below you’ll find advantages and disadvantages of each option. Many well-designed spaces incorporate both paint and wallpaper into their designs. After considering all factors, we believe you’ll decide wallpaper adds color, design & character to a room that paint simply cannot accomplish, and can be more cost-effective option in the long run. If you are looking for a very specific color or would like the option to change colors once in a while, you might want to consider paintable wallpaper. With a myriad of texture effects and designs to choose from, it’s the best of both worlds.
Advantages of Wallpaper
- Wallpaper can last up to 15 years and beyond, which makes it cost-effective in the long run.( properly hung wallpaper will last 3 times as long as paint)
- Wallpaper adheres easily and smoothly to walls, hiding many surface imperfection.
- It can add warmth, depth, and style to a room that monotone paint simply cannot achieve.
- Beautiful designs, intriguing textures, and beautiful prints have an impactful effect on the décor of a room.
- Wallpaper can be used to create a designer look in any space, and can also be applied to just one wall as a feature wall.
- Wallpaper comes in a dazzling array of designs with an incredible selection of beautiful effects like pearl and glitter, raised inks, suede, gels, beads, foils, embossed silk textures, and natural grasscloth.
Disadvantages of Wallpaper
- The process of applying wallpaper to walls is more time-consuming than painting.
- One can’t simply paint over it or apply different wallpaper if you get bored with the wallpaper without some prep work.
- Removing it can be a hustle- Many of today’s wallpapers (non-woven technology) strip off in large sheets, but some older wallpaper can be more tedious to remove.
- Before attempting your first wallpaper project, you should read up on things like making sure your first strip is level, pattern match, and hanging around corners.
Advantages of Paint
- Paint can come at a fairly low cost and is normally fairly easy to accomplish.
- Most people can do a paint job themselves and just need to buy the supplies.
- Paint is relatively easy to paint over or wallpaper over if you get tired of the original color.
Disadvantages of Paint
- Paint can only provide a color in a very limited spectrum of finishes from matte to glossy.…just to name a few.
- Paint also chips and cracks over time, so you will need to reapply and touch up your paint job more often.
- It is also can be messy to apply paint to walls, and you can easily stain your floors, ceilings, furniture or appliances.
- Depending on the type of paint you decide to use, heavier oil-based paint dries slower than you anticipate and usually requires a professional to apply – so, you probably can’t apply it yourself. Oil-based paints also tend to run when being applied and are less resistant to heat.
- Paint can also release volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), which are harmful to the human body.
- While paint does last 5 to 10 years, there is a bigger chance you will repaint more frequently.