- Nyali, a vibrant neighbourhood in Mombasa, Kenya, has seen a 34% increase in real estate demand from July to August 2023.
- Nyali’s lively atmosphere, rich cultural mix, and delicious food offerings make it an enticing destination.
- The neighbourhood offers an array of attractions and experiences, from exquisite dining to vibrant nightlife, serene beaches, and modern residential estates.
Nyali, a lively neighbourhood in Mombasa is known for its diverse culture, colourful markets, and tasty local cuisine. The streets are bustling, filled with the delightful scents of spices and street food as you take a leisurely stroll.
Nyali is connected to Mombasa Island via the New Nyali Bridge. It features upscale hotels, elegant homes, and modern amenities. The extensive white sandy beaches attract both locals and international travellers.
In the evenings, Nyali comes to life with its cozy bars and spots by the sea. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the sound of the waves.
Table of Contents
Real Estate Prices in Nyali
Nyali has some of the most contemporary and cutting-edge real estate developments in the region. The average property prices for apartments in Nyali range from Ksh 5 million to 20 million.
The average price of a townhouse is Ksh 45 million with some properties fetching more than Ksh 200 million. Sought-after residential areas include Nyali Executive Residential Area, known for its expansive and elegant homes. With these prices, Nyali has some of the most expensive properties in Mombasa.
Other attractive options include Nyali Plaza Estate, Milimani Estate, The Sandalwood, and The Palms. For those desiring a breathtaking view of the azure ocean, Nyali Beach South Point is a prime choice.
Over the past year (from August 2022 to August 2023), property prices in Nyali have seen a general increase. Apartments have experienced a gradual rise, particularly in the mid-range segment.
Demand for properties in Nyali has increased significantly, up by 34% from July to August 2023. This surge in demand may lead to more competitive properties and potentially higher prices in the future. Additionally, the supply of properties has increased by 11% from July to August 2023, indicating a growing availability of options for buyers and renters.
Nyali is home to a diverse mix of residents. Families, both large and small, find Nyali to be an appealing neighborhood due to its tranquil atmosphere, upscale amenities, and proximity to essential facilities. Young couples also gravitate towards the area, drawn by its modern lifestyle offerings and vibrant community. Additionally, singles looking for a dynamic and secure environment often choose Nyali for its convenience and range of recreational options.
What The Locals Love
Nyali is loved by its residents and offers a unique blend of attractions and experiences that cater to diverse tastes. From exquisite dining establishments to vibrant nightlife, beautiful white sandy beaches, and serene residential estates, there’s something special for everyone in this coastal haven. Here’s what makes Nyali so beloved by its locals.
Places To Visit in Nyali
Situated along a scenic beachfront offering stunning views of the Indian Ocean, Yul’s is renowned as a go-to destination for Sunday afternoon lunches. During low tide, you can witness camels leisurely strolling along the beach, while food enthusiasts satisfy their cravings with a delectable array of seafood, Italian dishes, pizzas, European cuisine, and vegetarian-friendly and vegan options exclusively at Yul’s Restaurant. Known for its exceptional seafood offerings, Yul’s also boasts an unforgettable ice cream bar that promises an unforgettable experience.
Nestled in a secluded spot, the Tamarind Mombasa Restaurant offers breathtaking beachfront views and a curated menu featuring a diverse selection of African cuisine and delectable seafood. This exquisite setting provides an ideal backdrop for a romantic evening, complemented by the option to privately charter a dhow cruise.
This exclusive experience promises a delightful combination of fine dining and a unique wine-and-dine adventure. Tamarind boasts of an extensive menu featuring highlights such as the Tamarind seafood salad, succulent black pepper crab, and the indulgent twice-cooked pork belly. They also offer delectable mangrove oysters, tempting desserts, and a delightful array of boozy coffees.
During your beach getaway in Mombasa, a visit to Mamba Village, the largest reptile farm in Kenya, promises an unforgettable experience. Here, you’ll witness crocodiles at various stages of development, from tiny hatchlings to 100-year ones measuring up to 5 meters in length.
The highlight of the day is undoubtedly the crocodile feeding session at 5 p.m., an awe-inspiring spectacle you won’t want to miss. If you haven’t had the chance to encounter these fascinating creatures on safari, Mamba Village is a definite “must-see” during your explorations in Mombasa.
Each corner of this sprawling estate offers a unique adventure, with the crocodile farm being the most popular attraction. Witnessing these aquatic reptiles soar high into the air to catch their meals is a breathtaking experience, making the afternoon feeding time the perfect moment to pay a visit.
Nyali Beach offers a calm and beautiful setting. It features white sands and palm trees, with minimal buildings such as a few hotels and basic beach huts. Visitors can enjoy activities like swimming, football, water sports, boat trips, snorkeling, and diving.
Access is available through hotel complexes or public pathways. The beach is family-friendly, with amenities like restrooms, showers, lifeguards, loungers, bars, restaurants, and parking. Dogs are also welcome on the beach, making it a good spot for pet owners to relax with their furry companions. Nearby, there are attractions like a theater, eateries, and a zoo. Premium hotels and spa facilities are available in the area.
If you fancy the nightlife, Anuba Lounge, situated within Nyali Centre is the place for you! It is renowned as a sophisticated nightlife venue in Mombasa.
It attracts a high-end clientele as it is known for its upscale ambiance. The club is consistently bustling, particularly on weekends. Anuba Lounge consistently delivers exceptional music and creates a vibrant party atmosphere that never fails to please its patrons.
Another popular club for nightlife lovers is Tapas. Found within Nyali Centre, along Links Rd, it stands out as one of Mombasa’s premier bars. Here, you can indulge in a selection of cocktails and whiskey while being serenaded by a roster of world-class DJs. Tapas Cielo boasts a captivating ambiance and stylish decor, matched by top-tier customer service. It’s not just one of the best clubs in Mombasa; it’s an experience beyond compare.
Nyali Plaza is an upscale shopping complex located across from Nyali Cinemax, at the intersection of Old Nyali Road and Fidel Odinga Road.
This 24-hour facility encompasses a supermarket, various eateries, high-end boutiques, jewelry outlets, mobile phone and accessories stores, pharmacies, furniture showrooms, electronics retailers, banking and ATM services, opticians, and even a mini Maasai market.
City Mall, on the other hand, stands as Mombasa’s premier shopping destination, offering a diverse selection of over 80 stores. Boasting ample secure parking spaces and round-the-clock security, it provides a safe and convenient shopping experience for locals and visitors alike.
Getting Around Nyali
There are many modes of transport available in Nyali, including:
- Private Cars: Despite the challenges with road conditions and traffic congestion, private cars are a common mode of transport for residents and visitors. However, it’s important to note that traffic jams can be unpredictable and may cause delays.
- Taxis: Local taxi drivers in Nyali are adept at maneuvering through Mombasa’s bustling streets, offering a convenient option for those who opt not to drive. Additionally, for those who prefer the ease and convenience of ride-hailing apps, Uber services are also available in the area, providing an additional transportation choice for residents and visitors alike.
- Tuk-tuks: These three-wheeled vehicles, known as tuk-tuks, are a favored mode of transportation in Mombasa. They are nimble and adept at maneuvering through traffic, making them a convenient choice for navigating the city’s busy streets. It’s worth noting that Uber, in response to local preferences, has expanded its offerings in the area to include tuk-tuks on their app. This provides residents and visitors with even more options for getting around Nyali and Mombasa.
- Likoni Ferry: To the south of Mombasa, the Likoni Ferry provides a vital connection to the “south coast.” It’s an important mode of transport for those traveling between the island and the south coast.
- Flights: Flying from Nairobi to Moi International Airport in Mombasa is a convenient option, particularly for those looking to bypass the challenges of road travel.
- Train: The Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) Train connects Nairobi to Mombasa, which could be another option to get to Mombasa. It takes 6 hours and is a popular choice for travellers.